FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
November 22, 2019
Media Contacts: Sarah Garfinkel, West End Strategy Team
American Jews Will Vote for Their Voice in Israel in 2020
Voting for the 38th World Zionist Congress begins January 21, millions of American Jews eligible to vote in critical election
NEW YORK – The American Zionist Movement (AZM), today announced that 13 slates representing the diversity of thought, opinion and cultural identity of the American Jewish community are set to compete for votes in the 38th World Zionist Congress, the “parliament of the Jewish people,” which will convene in Jerusalem in October 2020.
The slates, comprised of over 1,800 candidates, will vie for 152 American seats for the 38th World Zionist Congress in an election to be conducted in early 2020 organized and facilitated by AZM.
From January 21 through March 11, 2020, American residents who are Jewish and 18 or older will be eligible to vote. The election will be primarily online, with an option for mail-in ballots. Those elected from the United States will join delegates from Israel and around the world at the 38th World Zionist Congress in October 2020 in Jerusalem, to make decisions regarding the priorities of the World Zionist Organization (WZO), Jewish National Fund (JNF) and the Jewish Agency for Israel and the allocation of nearly $1 billion annually in support for Israel and world Jewry.
“The increase in participation and interest in this year’s World Zionist Congress elections is truly inspiring. With so many slates representing so many diverse viewpoints, we are gearing up for an historic election,” said Judge Abraham Gafni, Chairman of the US Area Election Committee. “We are all looking forward to a fair, spirited and engaging election campaign with a multitude of perspectives.”
“As the conveners of this vital election, AZM could not be more excited at the prospect of thousands of American Jews who will take their place in history and cast a ballot for the future of Israel and the diaspora,” said Herbert Block, Executive Director of the American Zionist Movement. “In the past, tens of thousands of Jews have voted in elections that shaped the Jewish future. We expect that this year will be no exception.”
Since the 2015 election, interest has grown, and a record number of groups expressed interest in participating in the 2020 elections. The 13 slates running in the 2020 World Zionist Congress elections are:
- Americans4Israel: Unity, Peace & Security
- American Forum for Israel
- Dorshei Torah V’Tziyon: Torah and Israel for All
- Eretz Hakodesh: Protecting the Kedusha and Mesorah of Eretz Yisrael
- Hatikvah: Progressive Israel Slate
- Herut Zionists: The Jabotinsky Movement
- Israel Shelanu (Our Israel)
- Mercaz: The Voice of Conservative/Masorti Judaism
- Ohavei Zion: World Sephardic Zionist Organization
- Orthodox Israel Coalition – Mizrachi: Vote Torah
- Vision: Empowering the Next Generation
- Vote Reform: ARZA Representing the Reform Movement and Reconstructing Judaism
- ZOA Coalition: Zionist Organization of America (ZOA), Torah from Sinai, MIG (Make Israel Great) & National Pro-Israel Partners – Courageously Defending Israel, Sovereignty & the Jewish People
Two slates vying to compete this year did not qualify for the ballot.
More information on how to vote is available at AZM.org/elections.
The First Zionist Congress was the genesis of the modern Zionist movement, convened by Theodor Herzl in 1897. It was at this meeting that great minds and leaders from throughout the Jewish world jointly proclaimed that the Jewish people should have a state of their own.
To be eligible to vote in the US Elections to the 38th World Zionist Congress, you must:
- Be 18 years of age or above
- Be a permanent resident of the United States
- Be Jewish
- Not have voted in the most recent Knesset election in Israel
- Affirm your commitment to the Jerusalem Program
Registration and voting will open on January 21, 2020. The fee to register and vote is $7.50 which goes to cover the operating costs of the election.
About the American Zionist Movement (AZM)
The American Zionist Movement (AZM) is comprised of 33 national Jewish Zionist organizations and works across a broad ideological, political and religious spectrum linking the American Jewish community together in support of Israel, Zionism and the Jewish people. Learn more at azm.org.